Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ghetto?

I was watching an episode of The "Real" Housewives of Atlanta, and I see the fascination.  I can see why people tune in week after week to see what shenanigans will take place.  But I wonder, are they laughing with/at us black women?  Most of the women on the show reinforce that 'ghetto' stereotype . . . loud, ignorant, money hungry, thinking a little money makes them rich or living beyond their means.  How many are a few steps away from bankruptcy and foreclosure?

I love my Sisters and on one hand, a few of them show that black women can be successful and educated, (i.e., Kandi, Phaedra, Cynthia).  Then there are others who show that life is all about investing in your outer appearance because there is nothing in your head of value.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment