Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Mother Earth

Mother Earth
on an African plane
heavy is my color
heavy is my frame
heavy is my spirit
heavy is my reign
heavy like nightfall
when the thief came

Mother Earth
on a slave ship
heavy are my tears
heavy are my lips
crying out to heaven
heavy are the whips
used to break my back
and cause my people to shift

Mother Earth
considered property
heavy are my songs
mental slavery
heavy is my womb
brown, little baby
heavy is the burden . . .
the mother in me

Mother Earth
teach me your strength
your wisdom . . .endurance
to go to great lengths
to achieve greatness
and not ride the fence
I want to be like you
to persevere . . . to go through

To Mother Earth
we all shall return
from dust to creation
ashes to urn
fan the forever flames
give her a turn
to live in her glory

let me live and learn


Happy Black History Month

No comments:

Post a Comment